That’s the question all of our partners had at one point, and it’s a valid one…
Like many of our current clients, your plan may already have robust and innovative Utilization Management and Case Management programs serving a diverse member demographic. But when it comes to better managing the costs of NICU infant care within the population, the low volume / high cost nature of these cases creates a challenge that is common across the country.
Here’s the answer: While NICU cases are low volume, these cases require specialized, high touch care management solutions. That’s how health outcomes are improved and costs are managed.
Alarming NICU population trends
The US prematurity birth rate is now 10% and climbing. As cited in this Fact Book from the March of Dimes, the earlier a baby is born, the higher the risk of death or serious disability. On an average day in the US:
- 1,045 babies are born preterm (less than 37 weeks gestation)
- 874 babies are born with low birth weight
- Approximately 1 in 8 babies start life in the NICU – often among the top 1% of utilizers
All of this means that the first days, weeks, or months of these infants are spent in a neonatal intensive care unit battling a variety of medical complications, challenging clinical cases, and costly care management for payers.
Health plans often don’t have sufficient NICU case volume to develop the dedicated programs and staff the specialists required to impact health outcomes and total cost of care.
Why payers outsource NICU UM and CM to ProgenyHealth
We are the only national company dedicated exclusively to NICU population health management. Founded and still lead by a pediatrician, our data-driven, clinical best-practices approach uniquely supports infants and their caregivers during the ﬁrst crucial months of life.
By standardizing care management, solving SDoH challenges, reducing variations in care and empowering families, we drive optimum quality outcomes and ensure appropriate lengths of stay and levels of care —ultimately reducing inpatient costs, physician fees, emergency department visits and readmissions.
- Deep NICU experience – It’s all we do. 7 days a week. 365 days a year. Nearly 17 years. Over 71,000 cases managed.
- Proven ROI – Year after year after year, with integrated payment integrity solutions to maximize program value.
- Proprietary Baby Trax® platform – Real-time predictive modeling, EHR, workflow solution focus
- Scalability and ease of onboarding – Knowledge of state-specific requirements and dedicated Implementation Team
- High Satisfaction – Members, Health Plans and Providers
Our integrated NICU UM/CM program helps standardize care, bending the medical cost curve in the right direction
Every day, our clinically specialized team – neonatologists, pediatric intensivists, pediatric nurses, pediatric nurses, and social workers – take on the many unique challenges of NICU care management across the country. Together with our plan partners, we are making a difference one baby at a time – one family at a time – across the country.
Contact us now to begin improving outcomes for your most vulnerable members.